Create Your Plan, Build Your Wealth, Live the Life You Want.
I provide high-touch, personal financial planning and investment management designed for law firm owners who want to take their wealth to and beyond the million-dollar mark so they can achieve financial independence and live the lifestyle of their dreams. I can help you achieve the life you want too. It’s as simple as creating your plan and following through. And it all starts with your free initial consultation. Get started by clicking the button below:
Are You Ready to Take Your Wealth and Your Life to the Next Level?
Maybe you’ve built a successful law practice and you’re making great money. You have been putting money away regularly in your investments and you now have surplus income you’re ready to put to work. But you feel like you don’t have a clear financial plan for the future and it’s left you feeling uneasy and anxious about the future.
Does this sound familiar?
You’ve finally gotten to a place in life where you have surplus income. You’ve paid down your debts or perhaps they are almost nearly paid off and you can see that on the horizon finally. Your kids are growing up fast or maybe leaving the nest. And finally you feel like your practice is in a profitable and sustainable place. And yet do you find yourself stressed and anxious about your finances and your future? Do any of the following ring true for you?
- You’re making really good money now, but you aren’t keeping enough of it. Instead, you are spending a lot on your business and your personal expenses have been creeping up. You feel lost and directionless without a clear spending plan. And you want to make sure you are doing the right things with your income and investing wisely.
- As your income has grown so have your taxes and you want to find ways to minimize your tax burden and make sure you aren’t missing out on opportunities to be more tax efficient.
- You know that retirement is around the corner and you are worried about having enough money. You feel like you should have more saved up by now.
- You have some general ideas about retirement, but you haven’t really thought specifically about what retirement will look like and you’re ready to plan for your ideal retirement lifestyle.
- You have been managing your own investments and you have a bunch of different accounts in different places and you’re ready to consolidate your investments under a cohesive investment strategy.
- Perhaps you have a financial advisor, but you do not hear from them very often or perhaps you’ve been shuffled around at a big firm and you want a close, personal relationship with your financial advisor.
- You have a basic investment strategy–perhaps a variety of mutual funds and stocks–but you don’t feel like your portfolio is being actively managed and you’re ready to take your investment strategy and growth to the next level.
These are all things I hear from clients who come to me for help. I can help you too!
What if you could have the financial freedom you dream of?
- What if you could enjoy the freedom to spend time with family, go on vacations, or even start a new venture?
- What if you could retire early and enjoy the lifestyle you dream of before age catches up with you?
- What if you had confidence that you could stop working and have enough income to last the rest of your life and leave some money for the kids?
- What if you didn’t have to worry about fluctuations in the market disrupting your retirement plan?
All of this is possible for you!
Together, we can help you get there.
I have been serving as a financial planner and portfolio manager for lawyers and law firms across the country for many years. My mission is to help successful law firm owners turn their retirement dreams into reality. And I have made working with law firm owners the primary focus of my financial advisory practice. I’m a Certified Financial Planner and hold a master’s degree in financial planning from Golden Gate University. I have the knowledge, skills, and experience to help you take your wealth to the next level.
Here’s what you can expect when working with me:
- First, we will create a detailed and comprehensive financial plan to achieve all of your personal and business financial goals. We will talk at length about the kind of life and future you want to create for yourself and develop a step by step blueprint for getting there.
- Second, we will make sure your investment strategy is aligned with your financial plan for success. We will evaluate your risk tolerance and design a personalized, actively managed investment strategy that fits you.
- Finally, we will help you implement your plan and stay on track. We will monitor and manage your investments. We will be in close and constant communication regarding your plan and investments. And we will meet regularly to evaluate and track your progress.
Ready to get started? Schedule your complimentary initial consultation below.
Why Do I Work With Lawyers and Law Firm Owners?
Why do I work with lawyers and law firm owners? No–it wasn’t my childhood dream to grow up and build a financial planning firm serving law firm owners. But I truly love what I do and the clients I work with. My career took several twists and turns to get to where it is today. I actually had an early interest in education and started out as a high school science teacher. As it turns out, those were good skills to develop because education is at the heart of good financial planning. True financial planning isn’t about spreadsheets and numbers–its about educating and equipping clients with skills and information that leads to positive differences in their real, actual lives.
After teaching for a few years, I decided to go back to school and obtain my master’s degree in financial planning and join the family business by opening my own office in Cincinnati. Through networking, I was introduced to attorneys and law firm owners that needed my help. As my business grew, many of my early clients were law firm owners. Quickly I found that these clients had their own unique challenges that were not being addressed by most financial advisors. And I began to realize that I could build a practice focused solely on law firm owners.
Whether due to my early love of murder mystery novels or TV shows like Damages, I have always had a lot of respect for lawyers and interest in the law. As I have worked with attorneys and law firm owners over the years and learned more about what it takes to be a successful lawyer and build a profitable law practice, that respect and admiration has only grown. The attorneys I work with are upstanding members of their communities, good, hard-working people, and incredibly smart. And even more importantly, I strongly believe that lawyers are vitally important to a thriving democracy and protecting the rights of all. So yeah–you’re kind of a big deal. And I’m incredibly proud to serve attorneys like you.
Financial Planning Process for Law Firm Owners:
What does the financial planning process for law firm owners look like? Here are the steps we will go through in our work together:
1. Goal Setting. We will start by setting specific, realistic goals for your future. What kind of life do you want to live? Who are the important people in your life you need to provide for? What kinds of things do you want to purchase? What will your future expenses be? I believe it is important to start with why. Setting goals helps us have a clear vision for what you are trying to accomplish. Clear goals will determine what financial steps you need to take.
2. Data Gathering. Next, we will gather data about your current financial position so we can analyze where you are presently and what changes need to be made to get you where you want to be. We will gather data about your cashflow, assets, liabilities, retirement savings, future assets and income, taxes, and investment risk tolerance. To assist us in getting accurate information and monitoring your progress, you will be able to link your financial accounts to our financial planning software. Additionally, we will gather financial data related to your law firm operations so we can make business recommendations.
3. Financial Analysis. Once we have gathered your financial data, we will prepare financial statements for your personal and business finances including a statement of financial position and cash flow statement. We will then calculate and analyze financial ratios to assess your financial health and identify areas of improvement. We will also analyze your law firm financial statements.
4. Strategy Formulation. The next step is to develop an overall strategy to achieve the goals you initially identified. We will determine how much money will be needed to reach each of your goals and prepare a set of recommendations and a revised cash flow plan to help you achieve those goals. Recommendations may include business recommendations that will support your personal goals. After that, we will meet to review and get your feedback.
5. Implementation. After we have reviewed the recommendations with you and come up with an overall plan that you like and agree with, we will create a finalized plan and set of action steps. This will include a cash flow plan, goal timeline, and investment plan. We will assist you over the next 3 months in implementation of the plan. A financial plan not implemented is worthless–that’s why we assist in our clients in implementation.
6. Monitoring. The final step in the financial planning process is monitoring. Over the course of the following year, we will check in with you as needed to review you progress and make any necessary updates. Annually, we will do a thorough plan update and progress evaluation. Ongoing plan monitoring is a separate service that we charge for separately.
How much is the investment in a financial plan?
It is difficult to put a price tag on financial peace of mind. That’s why we refer to the cost of doing a comprehensive financial plan as an “investment.” And that’s what it is–an investment in your future. To make things easy for our clients, we charge a simple flat fee for financial planning that encompasses everything. You don’t have to worry about hourly rates. And although we do provide personal portfolio management, you are not required to invest any assets with us to do a plan.
Initial planning fee: $2500. The initial planning fee covers steps 1-5 of the planning process and includes everything involved in creating a comprehensive financial plan.
Ongoing planning fee: $250 per month. In reality, planning is an ongoing effort as life circumstances change and financial markets fluctuate. Ongoing planning includes plan monitoring, quarterly plan check-in’s, and annual comprehensive updates.
What People Are Saying About Working With Me:
“I have worked with a lot of financial planners over the years, but Darren Wurz is by far the most well informed, communicative, strategic and caring one I’ve ever used. I highly recommend him especially if you are thinking of retiring within the next 5-10 years.” –Betsy K. (Source: Google Reviews 2017)
“Darren Wurz is such a great financial planner and has served our needs well in the year that he has worked with us, helping to better plan for retirement. He is detailed, methodical and compassionate in listening to our desires. It is so important to have a planner who takes a personal interest in your passions and your portfolio.” –Pat F. (Source: Google Reviews 2019)
“With my retirement not that many years away, I met with Darren at his office to learn more about his business philosophy. I have to admit I’m not easily impressed, but Darren was able to show me what would work and not work for me. His communication skills are second to none. I transferred all of my investments and accounts to Wurz Financial because I wanted to have the peace of mind that somebody was taking care of my lifetime investments and retirement.” –Jon E. (Source: Google Reviews 2019)
“Darren not only has served as a wealth of financial knowledge for my family, but he’s guided us every step of the way with explanations of expectations, next steps, best outcome – whatever was best for us. Not only is he worth the value of that expertise, he’s also an individual of integrity and someone you can trust.” –Kevin B. (Source: Google Reviews 2020)
“After being referred by friends to Wurz Financial services I’m very comfortable with the decision I made to allow this group of financial advisors to manage a significant portion of my retirement funds. They were very professional and provide a personal investment plan based on market conditions, risk level assessment based on my age, and goals for the future, and what I felt might be any specific investment strategies. I recommend this group to anyone.” –Charles H. (Source: Google Reviews 2022)